Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pyro X-300 Space Cruiser

Toys & Stuff recently featured several Pyro space ships from the Golden Age of Space Toys: the Pyro X-100 Space Scout , the Pyro X-200 Space Ranger in yellow & blue , and the Pyro Space Ranger in siler-gray. Unfortunately I do not have the fourth space ship in the series, the X-400 Space Explorer. But for today we feature a battle worn survivor from the same fleet - the X-300 Space Cruiser. It's body mimics the stereotypical rocket ship design of the 1950's in its elongated tube fuselage and wings jutting from the sides but deviates from the norm by having a clear cockpit at the tip of the fuselage. I love the detailing on this ship, especially the ladder leading up to the hatch just aft of the cockpit. These suckers are so hard to find so I guess I was fortunate enough to acquire one in this battered state. That being said, I don't do daily searches on eBay to see whether one's on the market or not and so have probably missed several sales.
My sample is missing the wheels, the tail fin tips are broken off and it appears as if the clear canopy took an asteroid hit but somehow it managed to land relatively intact. Making a guesstimate as to length and height, taking broken/missing pieces into consideration it's ca 9" (22.9cm) L x 2 1/4" (5.7cm) H x 3 5/8" (9.2cm) wingspan. I would love to get this restored but alas, with my dubious talents, it would end up in the scrap heap before too long. The wheels probably wouldn't be a problem and the tail fins might be doable but that clear cockpit! - sorry, no can do. So, for now let's enjoy this relic from the past (the toy that is - not me!) - Enjoy!



The 'asteroid damage' is plain to see in this view.