Pages

Monday, July 29, 2019

TRAIN TIME: Custom Marx Army Commodore Vanderbilt Clockwork Train

A couple of months ago I latched on to this custom painted 3-piece Marx Commodore Vanderbilt (CV) set which included the engine, tender, and caboose. The paint job was nice enough and the person who redid it looks like he used a homemade rubber stamp for the US * ARMY lettering. The three piece set was very reasonably priced so, what the heck, I took the plunge. I went from being anti-clockwork a couple of years back, to grudging respect, to being fully on-board with the whole thing. I finally realized that trains like this were at the low end of the price spectrum and often times were the only trains some families could afford. It represents a simple pleasure from days gone by and I now accept it for what it is. As I was playing with this I toyed (pun intended) with adding cars, but hey, watch the videos and see for yourself. 

This portion of the old train board is just big enough for an oval of track. For this video I pulled out vintage Army toys from Ideal, Auburn, Marx, Tootsietoy, Triang Minic, Renwal, and Payton. Oh, and BTW it wasn't 'til after I was finished filming that I noticed the tender was on backwards - DOH! Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina











Three unit train

Four unit train

Five unit train

No comments:

Post a Comment