Pages

Monday, November 9, 2020

Ed's Travelogue: High Desert Here I Come - George AFB, Victorville, California

With tech school behind me, now it was time to go to my first assignment and actually do stuff. So, where do you put a city boy from the frozen tundra of Winter Wonderland? Why, in a small town in the desert of course! hahahaha George AFB was home to the Wild Weasels - F-4 Phantoms with a very aggressive - and dangerous - mission. At times one could look down the flightline and see about 120 F-4 Phantoms lined up. At the time I reported for duty, there were also F-105 Thunderchiefs, but they were already in the process of being phased out. The Guard(?) unit across the runway was flying - I believe - Delta Darts or one of those body-type, aircraft. George closed in 1988 as a result of the end of the Cold War and the round of closures brought about by BRAC (Base Realignment and Closure Commision) Here's some of the brochures, articles, etc, that I saved from that period. Enjoy! Opa Fritz
















No comments:

Post a Comment