Pages

Sunday, March 5, 2023

More MPC Fun: Multiple Toymakers Set No. 919 Santa Fe Trail

Here's a wonderful little set from Multiple Toymakers (aka MPC, Miner Industries, Multiple): The Santa Fe Trail set no. 919. Thanx to Mark Hegemen over at the MPC facebook group, I was able to identify the set number as my box is too worn to make out the number. There was no date on his box so we can only guesstimate late '50s-mid-'60s.

The set I received contained early style ringhand figures. When you look at the Pioneers, they actually don't have 'ring' hands, but rather slot hands and were the earliest production of these types of figures. The box is a display type box with fold-back cover. Unfortunately, like so many of these types of boxes, my top has been split into two pieces. This is a terrific small sized set and shows, yet again, that Multiple was the master at re-packing their toys into 'multiple' sets! (pun intended) Enjoy! Opa Fritz










I include a photo of the bottom simply to show that there was no printing. This is not always the case with MPC boxes as often times the set number and date are printed on the bottom.

MPC only lettered one side of their wagon bonnets (tops) and this one was attached to the 'wrong' side of the wagon. I say 'wrong' because when the wagon was in the store on display, the horses were facing right and the lettering visible from that side.

Why don't I switch it around? Well, there's already a crack in the plastic and the top has proven to be attached really good to the wagon body. I don't want to take a chance at destroying the bonnet just for the sake of lettering position.






Love these little features that Multiple included on some of their toys.
There was probably a pick axe and rifle which would have snapped into small brackets on each side of the box. Those are missing in my set.








My set had four of the same kind of horse: MP195. The set was also dirty! This photo shows the horses prior to being cleaned

'Deluxe' 2-horse hitch with straps that fit on the underside of the hitch, holding the horses in place

The four Pioneers that came with my set. Three of them are the early style ringhands and sport the HTF coonskin cap.

My set was missing the MPC Indians so I provided these two which I've seen in sets on-line.


The teepee (also spelled 'tipi') in this set is a different color combination than my other ones, being yellow and red. It has a vinyl cover, a brown plastic frame, and has the top piece which is often times missing.







The only accessories shown on the box is the Pioneer sprue, shown as an example for the kiddies

My set even included the original yellow sprue!

These green Indian accessories came with my set and there were probably a couple more as I know my set is incomplete

No comments:

Post a Comment