Pages

Monday, July 22, 2024

Eldon No. 902 Cargo Plane vs. No. 850:98 U.S. Navy Cargo Plane

Back in January I made a few posts regarding the Eldon Cargo plane. At the time I was - to be frank - confused as hell! This small, all blue plane was bought years ago BUT, the seller included the vehicles for the larger plane! The correct smaller vehicles came in a separate job lot I bought much later (I'm still missing the Jeep). I thought that was the only cargo seaplane Eldon made until over the years some catalogs and catalog images came my way which made me realize Eldon made two similar aircraft: one small and one large. I had already posted photo essays on the smaller plane when a larger version became available on fleaBay and I was able to snatch it up! Enjoy! Opa Fritz

No. 850:98 U.S. Navy Cargo Plane

1961 Supplee-Biddle-Steltz Co.  catalog extract showing the smaller U.S. Navy Cargo Plane

The smaller plane measures: 11.25" (28.57cm) L x 12.75" (32.38cm) wingspan x 3.5" (8.89cm) H

The correct vehicles would be a tank, truck, and Jeep along with the small loading ramp (I'm missing the Jeep)

No. 902 Cargo Plane

This Eldon fold-out catalog came with the smaller plane shown above when I bought it. While the smaller plane is not shown in the catalog, the large plane is! This confused me - why would they include a catalog showing the larger plane and stuff it into the smaller plane?

The larger plane was available in a red-white-&-blue scheme with red-white-&-blue vehicles as well as...

...an all-silver version with OD vehicles
Worthpoint photo

The larger version measures: 19" (48.26cm) L x 21.375" (54.29cm)  wingspan x 6" (15.24cm) H




















My vehicles were bought in several separate purchase years ago and are correct for the all-silver version plane but not for the red-white-&-blue version I have. The missile launcher is missing its missile.

The vehicles shown here actually came with the smaller plane when I bought it off fleaBay many years ago. This set is complete except for the missing missile.

A couple of side-by-side comparison photos of the two aircraft


No comments:

Post a Comment