Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Ideal #4867 Turbo Jet Car (1959)

Here is a really cool vintage toy I got earlier this year:  Ideal's #4867 Turbo Jet Car from 1959.  It had been on my bucket list for ages and when this near pristine, working example (minus box) came up for  a decently low price I jumped at it. The car closely resembles the 1954 General Motors Firebird I concept car from 1954. I have several spaceships in the collection whose design borrows heavily from these various jet cars of the 1950s & '60s and - as a toy - this was the OG.

The measurements: 

-Car 11" (27,94cm) L x 5.25" (13,33cm) W x 4" (10,16cm) H

-Launch pad 10" (25,40cm) L x 5" (12,70cm) W x 4.25" (10,79cm)H 

- Overall 13" (33,02cm) L

Ed

XP-21 Concept Car


1954 General Motors Firebird I concept ( XP-21) first gas turbine automobile ever to be built and tested in the U.S. 
(images culled from the Internet)




Ideal's Turbo Jet Car and Launch Pad














Ideal's Turbo Jet Car 















Ideal's Turbo Jet Car Launch Pad






No comments:

Post a Comment