Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2026

Play Along Toys AOME LOTR - Weapons and Warriors #48200 Uruk-hai Siege Ballista - Pt 4 (Final) Ballista

Finally, the Pièce de résistance, the ballista. I've got a lot of toys and this is absolutely one of the coolest. It is accurate enough in its portrayal of a real ballista that it could be used just as well in a Medieval battle scenario as well as a LOTR attack scene.

As I said in an earlier post, this thing had been banging around out in The Cave for many years and along the way, one of the wheels broke off. The repair was simple enough: take a short piece of safety wire, drill a hole in the axle and in the wheel, insert wire, and attach wheel. That said, I have yet to glue the wheel to the axle and I may not want to - by allowing the wheel to be removeable, this thing could be placed in a scenario where it got damaged. There is one really odd design feature though. Look at the wheels. They're not round, they're scalloped! This must have been a bear to transport!!! If I were to draft this into any of my Medieval armies, I'm afraid those wheels would have to be rounded off.

The height/angle of fire is adjustable, the release levers turn, and as stated in a previous post, this thing can be made to fire the bolt.. It measures:

-Ballista: 8.5" (21,59cm) L x ~5.25" (13,33cm) H

-Carriage: 3.5" (8,89cm) W 

-Bow: 6.25" (15,87cm) W

-The bolt = 7.625" (19,36cm) L


A bit of safety wire inserted into a hole drilled in the axle. The wheel has a hole drilled into it allowing placement over the nub of wire





















No comments:

Post a Comment