Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2019

MPC Rocket Boat From Set No. 345 - 1960s RED SP

I thought this was a cool boat when I saw it last year and was lucky enough to have snagged it. It's another great MPC ringhand related toy. I photographed this Rocket Boat exactly the way I received it but I have since learned that the dual machine gun is not the right armament for it. After seeing a picture of a MIB set in Playset Magazine the boat evidently had a single machine gun (the type that came with MPC's personnel carriers) on either side of the hull and an American flag attached to the top of the cabin as well as a second life ring. The missile itself would have 'launched' via a rubber band attached to the front of the launch rail, pulled back and then attached to the rear of the missile. Simply lifting the missiles' rear end would cause it to come off the rail and fly forward. When I posted a pic of this on the fb groups there was a lot of amused speculation about the damage that big ol' missile would have done to the crew and boat! The boat measures 9 1/2" (24.13cm) L x 4" (10.16cm) W x 3" (7.62cm) H. Gotta love toy designers LOL Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina















2 comments:

  1. That is one cool rocket boat Ed! I love it! I've seen the rear rocket launcher before I think. A fabulous simple toy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Woodsy! It's a darn good thing no one ever tried to build a real boat like this - could be dangerous to the crew's health! LOL But you're right, it makes a nice simple toy - great bathtub or backyard pond material

      Delete