Pages

Monday, May 11, 2020

Marx 54mm Astronaut #1

The past few days I've posted some Lunar themed Marx Miniature playsets. The figures included in those were all down-sized copies of their 54mm Astronauts so I thought it would be the right time to start my photo essays for those larger versions. There were nine different poses in all and very nicely done. According to Kent Owen Sprecher's excellent website Toy Soldier HQ (see sidebar on the right) all nine figures were part of mold shot PL-1120 which had 16 cavities to accomodate the separate space suit pieces as well as duplicates of several figures.

Except for two of the figures, the astronauts appear not to be wearing space suits per se, but rather pressure suits of the type they would have worn flying aircraft or in the Mercury capsules during the very early days of the space program. Marx also made a series of ground crew and scientists around this time frame to go with their Cape Canaveral playsets but I just haven't gotten around to photographing them - sorry! 

In the meantime lets's start with this figure which I've arbitrarily called #1. Why? Because it was the first one I photographed while taking this series of photos. You can call it whatever you want :-) It shows our intrepid explorer deftly navigating the Lunar surface. These pics were taken seven years ago at a time when my 'standard series' of shots per figure numbered around 15-18+. Since then I've whittled that down to 10-12 photos per figure. Enjoy! Opa Fritz

The nine different poses.


















No comments:

Post a Comment