Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2020

Ed's Travelogue: EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) Air Museum, Franklin, Wisconsin June 1979 - Pt 1

The year 1979 was mostly about life and work on George AFB, but I did manage to get out and see a few things. In June I had to go back home on emergency leave but as a result a very interesting story unfolded.

I had to take a taxi to Ontario Airport. From there the small puddle jumper plane would take me to LAX (Los Angeles Int'l) where I would board the big plane back home, but it was the taxi ride which proved to be the highlight. I struck up a conversation with the driver who said he was the manager of his taxi comapany and was filling in for someone. Okay. He asks where I'm headed, I say, "Milwaukee". He then proceeds to tell me a fascinating story which went something along the lines of:

"I'm a semi-professional photographer and love airplanes. One time I was in a bi-plane with the now-director of the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) and something went wrong with the plane. Both of us had to bail out!"

WoW

He proceeded to give me the name of the gentleman who was now in charge of the EAA and suggested I try looking him up. Now, here we are some 41 years later and I do not recall the taxi driver's name nor the name of the gentleman he referred me to.

Long story short: I went to the EAA Museum - just outside of Milwaukee - and asked if the director was avaialble. He was and I got to meet him. He not only verified the taxi driver's story but showed me a picture hanging on the wall of the airplane the two had to bail out of! Holy Crap Batman! However I screwed up. I did not get a picture of the director, nor the photo on the wall of that bi-plane! DAMN! What was I thinking? Oh well, can't go back and change things. Enjoy! Opa Fritz

I just don't have any notes on this trip. The photos are posted here in the order they were taken, so take them - as well as my fuzzy memory - at face value.










I believe this was an early Wright Flyer and one of the oldest motored aircraft in the country







Wait, is this a Baka? Looks too small to be a V-1
Can anyone identify this?















My recollection is that this Messerschmitt Bf 108 Taifun belonged at the time to Cliff Robertson the actor and was on loan to the museum.








2 comments:

  1. The Messerschmitt Bf 109 you have labeled looks more like the Messerschmitt Bf 108 Taifun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOLY CRAP BATMAN - YOU'RE RIGHT! aw man! Ya know, at one point in time - many years ago - I could've rattled off nearly every plane of the Allies and Axis. Now, I look at a picture and go, "Ummm, that's an airplane." and leave it at that LOL

      Many, Many Thanx and the caption will be changed!

      Delete