Pages

Sunday, December 27, 2020

TRAIN TIME: Part 20 "We've got cows!"

While sitting at the Edge of Town layout the other day and pondering what to do next, some 'low hanging fruit' sort of popped into my head. 'Low hanging fruit"?  huh? That is to say: easy to get to or easy to work on projects that can be finished up in little time. Welll, I got tired of that billboard sticking up like a sore thumb in the lower left corner of the layout and pulled out my scenicking material. Plopped down some hedges, moved a tree from the lake area over to that corner, applied a couple packages of Woodland Scenics Tufts, some cows, and voilà: instant pasture. Oh, I know it's not a proper pasture. There should be a fence paralleling the track and that wooden fence along the backdrop removed, and a pastoral scene added to the backdrop to make this a more realistic scene, but it'll do for now. I can take the cows off and it simply becomes a fenced in plot of land. Enjoy! Opa Fritz

I pulled out the cows first to see what it might look like.


Then came the hedges, then the tufts, and finally the tree.
I'm okay with this for now and it definitely adds a rural flavor to the layout.


You can see here that if those cows aren't careful, the road crew's gonna have road kill steak for supper! Got the A-1 Steak Sauce guys? LOL




In other EoT news I replaced the Marx uncoupling track on the siding with a regular straight track. Seems that the couplers on Lionel (and other trains) were getting caught on the blade that sticks up





Also, the troublesome postwar manual switch was replaced with a prewar electric switch. I haven't hooked it up to a control button yet.


1 comment: