Pages

Thursday, October 19, 2023

BREWERIANA: Burg Grenzau Bier Krug / Beer Stein - Europe's Only Triangular Castle Tower

Now here's an interesting Bier Krug or stein. Not only is the stein unique but it's based on a unique place in Germany that we've visited a couple of times. The town of Grenzau wasn't that far from Bettina's home town and we managed to visit there once (or was it twice?) Anywho, while we didn't go up on the hill to visit the castle ruins, I did see the tower from the vantage point of the photo below.

Landgasthof zur Burg Grenzau

This image was culled off the Internet. While I do have photos of our visit to Grenzau, they have yet to be scanned. Apparently this is the only triangular castle tower in Europe - or at least the only one still standing. I'll let the experts duke that one out. For me personally, it's a cool remembrance of a cool place.


Back in '91 we had just got to the States from my stint in Good 'Ol Deutschland. While walking through one of the malls I had seen a Burg Grenzau stein just like this but Bettina wouldn't let me buy it ("You've got enough of those!") 😢 

Fast forward a whole bunch of years and eBay is now a thing. About ten years ago I saw this on there for a reasonable price and said, "Oh hell yeah!" and bought it - without objections  😁  Sooo, the stein posted here today was not bought during our visit to Grenzau, but rather off fleaBay here Stateside. Enjoy! Opa Fritz












No comments:

Post a Comment