Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2022

The Circus Is Coming To Toys and Stuff - FINALLY! CIRCUS TIME: Vintage 1932 Coca-Cola Circus Cut-out

I've said it multiple times but I'm easily distracted! Back in 2012 my Marx Super Circus Set was featured here on Toys and Stuff starting on 20 August 2012 and running for six installments. That would have been a good time to start posting my other circus stuff but then - bupkis! In March of  this year I announced that a new circus series would start but then it got put on hold in favor of posting Britains Knights and Turks and stuff. Actually, I did that mostly to buy time while I was taking and editing photos. Given my pre-disposition to getting easily distracted, let's see how long this new series will last before I change subjects again!

Sooo, without further ado, here's our first foray into the wonderful world of the circus.  For me, the circus has a special place in my heart. As a little kid way back in the '50s, my father had taken me and mom to see the Circus World Museum and John Ringling's house in Baraboo, Wisconsin. Then, while attending grade school, our school would take us on field trips to see the Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey Circus at the Milwaukee Arena. The sights, smells, and sounds of the circus were totally awesome and left a lasting impression. My dad would also take us to the Lake Michigan lake front where the circus wagons would be displayed prior to being driven through the streets during Milwaukee's wonderful Great Circus Parade held on the 4th of July weekend. Unfortunately, even though my mother was the family photographer, we have no photos of any of those events. Then, in 1972 I was there for Milwaukee's Great Circus Parade when Dick Sparrow of Zearing, Iowa drove the first 40-horse hitch since 1904. A story in  itself, Mr. Sparrow had to re-invent the process of driving forty horses and he was pulling a brand new wagon made especially for Schlitz - the sponsor of the parade at that time. And I don't have a single photo!! DAMN! LOL But okay, there are plenty of postcards and photos from other sources available :-)

But today we'll start with this cardstock circus cut-out was made in 1932 as an advertising premium for Coca-Cola. On the front of the card is a cut-out circus tent with a front piece resembling a performing ring and grand stands that is used to help hold the tent up. In addition there are six performing acts which need to be cut-out as well. The reverse of the card has an excellent narrative: "HOW A CIRCUS COMES TO TOWN". The card measures 10"x15" and will not fit on your standard home office scanner - it does however fit on my large format (tabloid) scanner which accepts anything up to about 11"x17". Enjoy! Opa Fritz




No comments:

Post a Comment