Pages

Sunday, August 27, 2023

Eales of Sheffield Pewter Beer Mug With Glass Bottom

While I have a ton of beer stuff from Germany, not all of my collection dates from my time there in the '80s. I've always been a collector. From the earliest days I can remember collecting stuff and sometimes it didn't take much to trigger the collecting urge. Somewhere along the line, mugs, souvenir drinking glasses, and other vessels meant to hold liquid, grabbed a hold of my collector's heart and off I went! 

Even before I acquired this mug (or stein) I had amassed a small collection of drinking vessels. This particular one I received as a present for standing up for (or rather being a part of) my cousins wedding party. The best man, as well as we others, all received one of these beautiful beer mugs with glass bottoms (made by Eales of Sheffield in England) as presents. In addition, each mug was engraved with the recipient's name. Wow! Most of the other pieces from that first collection are gone, but you can bet this one was a keeper! I believe this is the only mug/glass/stein I have with a glass bottom so that too makes it special. As for my cousin's marriage, wellll let's just say the mug outlasted her marriage by many decades. As well, sadly, my cousin passed away some years back so this is a reminder of family, fun times, and a rich past. Until next time - Cheers! Enjoy! Opa Fritz








No comments:

Post a Comment