Pages

Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Fort Shambles : Auburn, MPC, Gulliver

The other day I posted the Auburn hard plastic log cabin. That cabin was a part of the set pictured here, basically a job lot or put-together fort from various manufacturers. The only reason I bought this was that I had recognized the Auburn cabin and wanted it for the collection, but once the lot found its way out to The Cave, and despite the condition issues of the fort, I really liked the set. The fort gate and walls are probably MPC knock-offs vs. original MPC, and the figures are all 'Gulliver' - a company I'm totally unfamiliar with. As stated, there are condition issues with the wall pieces and the gate doors are broken off of their thin plastic hinges, but with a little work the whole thing assembles into a nice little outpost. The walls are 6 1/2" W x 3 1/2"H and the figures are all 65mm - perfect for the Auburn cabin. The lot included:

-7 Cavalrymen (2 mounted)

-5 Indians (2 mounted)

-one extra horse 

-7 wall pieces

-1 gate

-1 barricade

-1 cabin

There was no insert for the fort name above the gate so I have no clue as to how it was sold or who made or sold it, but I'm calling it 'FORT SHAMBLES" due to its condition! :-) 

The Cave has been too warm to do much of anything in it, and this photo shoot was kind of quick and dirty. Hopefully I can put this all together on one of my scenicked bases soon and provide some better photos. Until then - Enjoy! Opa Fritz






2 comments:

  1. Most of the Gulliver sets I've seen Ed, are Fort Apache, both high-wall plastic and wooden, with a late wooden one being Fort Arizona, and occasionally they use the Spanish 'Fuerte', but I haven't seen this low-wall one as a Gulliver set, so 'Shambles' is probably most apt!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After posting this I did a quick search of Gulliver toys and you're right Hugh - Gulliver's forts were square with either two or four lookout towers and the wall pieces were of even height vs. having these low cut-outs. The figures, I have found out, are recasts from old Atlantic tooling and recasts are being offered in 40mm and 65mm so I have to be wary when buying them. I was going to re-take photos of this setup today but had errands to run and now it's too warm in The Cave to mess with things.

      Delete