Pages

Saturday, December 9, 2023

It's a Small World After All: Empire Small Auto - Red HP

First of, let me apologize ahead of time for the quality of some (many?) of the photos in this series. As hard as I try, sometimes my camera is just not up to the task of photographing small toys - or even big toys for that matter. It's okay when taking photos outdoors, but - being a point-&-shoot - it's not meant for model photography. It does have settings for macro photography but believe me, it's not all that great! Also, as the series progresses you may find me jumping from cars to trucks to buses to whatever. 

In trying to identify these tiny cars and trucks, my go-to source has been Kent Owen Sprecher's Toy Soldier HQ website, which of course, is not at all limited to toy soldiers but covers the gamut of all plastic toys. Sometimes I luck out and find what I'm looking for and other times, not so much. In this case, as there are no identifying markings on this car I instead try to look at the profile of the toy and believe it matches the one shown in Kent's website. These photos were taken back in 2016 and I can't find my notes but the car measures about 1.5" long. Enjoy! Opa Fritz

Courtesy of Toy Soldier HQ



















3 comments:

  1. Aha! Once I saw those little stubby wheel-substitutes I realized I've seen these before. I wonder if they would work on an "electric football" base? Long before I painted my first D&D mini, I was painting NFL minis! Note the bases of these bruisers. In each corner of the base there are a pair of little flexible bristles. The metal board vibrates and the players move around. https://www.theunforgettablebuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/4-1970-Sears-SB-copy1.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had one of those games as a kid but the neighbor boy did and we would play with it. I'm actually glad I didn't get one because the total randomness of the player movements was frustrating. Lionel and American Flyer made train accessories using the same principles, but instead of football players, their 'players' were horses or cows that were corralled into waiting stock cars.

      Delete
  2. LOL, they were pretty random. They all moved forward, and theoretically you could warp the bristles to try and give them a particular inclination, but mostly they moved in arcs of various radii.

    ReplyDelete