Pages

Monday, November 16, 2020

Ed's Travelogue: 1979 A New Beginning and New Things To See: George AFB, California

With a very busy 1978 behind me, 1979 continued the trend. Looking back I was as busy in '79 as '78. I was 25 years old when entering the military but my basic training flight was full of us 'old guys' hahahaha and had several guys older than me. Having had all those years of factories, and steel mills, and work behind me helped prepare me for the more structured life of the military and we referred to it simply as 'going to work' just like any other job. 

These are some random shots of the air base as it looked in 1979. Enjoy! Opa Fritz

This was my first quarters on George - a '40s era barracks - and it felt that old! LOL


The same barracks not too long after I was finally assigned a room to my squadron's dormitory. Hmmmm - looks better :-)


Snow in the desert - Good Grief I never expected that!
This was taken in January 1979 and there is a whole story behind this and a whole other post!


In the Air Force we don't live in barracks - we live in dormitory's. Don't know why, that's just the way it was/is. Here's mine for the 35th Supply Squadron



My dorm room. Our rooms all had modular shelving units - very practical and very seventies - that dark wood accented by brushed aluminum


The base theater


Apparently a standard design for personnel offices, this is the 'X' shaped Combined Base Personnel Office (CBPO)


One of my memories of George was the parking lots. Lots of them - all big it seemd like.




No comments:

Post a Comment