Pages

Monday, November 2, 2020

Ed's Travelogue: USAF Tech School, Lowry AFB, Denver, Colorado Pt 1 The Base

When we're finished with basic training we don't all go to the same place to learn our jobs. Some of us go directly to their next assignment for OJT (On-the-Job Training) while the rest get scattered to the various tech schools around the country. After basic training I was off to Lowry AFB in Denver, Colorado for the next few weeks for tech school. It was my first time in Colorado and it snowed on my first day there. For several of the guys from my basic training flight, who happened to be Filipino's, this was their first time seeing snow and boy were they excited! I can remember watching them play, lay on the ground and do snow angels, have snowball fights, and just plain goofin' around. It was a gas ! hahahahaha Lowry AFB went from being a very active base with a runway and flying missions, transitioning to a training base after the flightline closed down in 1966, to becoming the Lowry, Denver Neighborhood in 2013. Apparently several of the old buildings are still standing - one of them a hangar-turned-air museum - so the photos that follow, while not the best, are a glimpse back at what it was like in Oct, 1978. Enjoy! Opa Fritz

The first pictures I took at Lowry - first day there and snow!







The Base Exchange





I think this was the building housing my tech school. There's no notes on the photo and my memory just isn't good enough to say for sure







My dorm while at Lowry - I have no clue what the building number was








No comments:

Post a Comment