Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2020

Ed's Travelogue: Mackinac Island and Historic Fort Mackinac June 1977

As stated previously, my dad had bought a trailer on Shawano Lake (about 30 miles west of Green Bay) as a summer place. Nothing big or fancy but it was his getaway and jumping off place for fishing. Dad loved fishing. I hated fishing, but I loved eating fish hahahaha I actually loved the boat ride and being out in the water, what I lacked was patience: waiting for some stupid fish to eat a worm! LOL But I get that a LOT of people enjoy just being out on the lake chilling and - hopefully - catching a good haul of fish. Because of that our freezer in the basement nearly always had frozen fish for mom to cook up: pan fish, Blue Gills, Northern, Trout. Name a fish that makes its home in the lakes of Wisconsin and we probably had it. Evan a record Gar Fish for Shawano Lake - caught by my brother-in-law who kept it as a souvenir hahahaha (BTW Gar Fish aren't good for eating).

Anywho, Shawano was a jumping off place for more travels during the summer. Me, my sister, nephews, and niece would make occasional forays into Michigan's Upper Peninsula. On one of those trips we went to Mackinac Island a place only accessible by boat as no vehicles (other than emergency vehicles) are allowed on the island. As I remember, we crossed over the Mackinac Bridge which connects the Upper and Lower Peninsula's, then parked the car and took the ferry over to the island, then debark and enjoy! Mackinac Fort is the oldest military installation I've ever visited and it was fascinating to watch the re-enactors do their thing out on the green. Enjoy! Opa Fritz


















  



I think some of these pics were taken by my sister as all I had at the time was a Polaroid SX-70







The world's longest porch - took four shots with the SX-70 from far away to capture it!
























 














Pics culled from the Internet





No comments:

Post a Comment