Pages

Monday, September 7, 2020

TRAIN TIME: The Edge of Town Layout Gets a Makeover - Pt 16 New Scenery, New Track and My First Lionel Postwar Hudson

Work on space toys has stalled - cuz I need a break - but work on my 3-rail O-gauge micro-train layout has progressed. It's hot out in The Cave and working out there a tad uncomfortable unless I do stuff first thing in the morning. I haven't posted some projects that have actually been in the works since May! So anywho, let's get caught up with The Edge of Town micro-layout rejuvenation. Oh, and BTW, please subscribe to my Y'allTube Channel: 'Edward Bettina Berg' for more updates to the Edge of Town layout or to see what's goin' on next in my train world!  Enjoy! Opa Fritz

In May I scraped clean a section in the lower right corner of the layout, carved out some scrap Styrofoam and glued it down. 



I let the hill sit until June when I decided to form it some more...


...then covered it with pre-mixed patching plaster


I waited about a week for the plaster to dry then gave the hill a base coat of this caramel-ish brown


It's August and by now I'm tired of looking at the non-descript brown hill. Commence with the scenery!
The exposed sides of the hill were painted in succeedingly lighter shades of brown/tan. I normally do a quick dry-brush of white to give highlights but was actually pleased enough with how this looked without highlights.

Grass and trees were added next




I bought these street lights from Woodland Scenics, but man-oh-man the wires are incredibly thin and delicate. You can't see these when lit up unless you turn all the lights off in The Cave so I'll need to add more lights on the layout to give night-time effects a more pronounced look






I bought these Peco fences to use for my UK-themed 2-rail wind-up layout but opted for a more toy-like look instead. Sooo, might as well put these to use! I believe this corner will be fenced in, as if it were private property with restricted access.


Some of the trains I've been running since my last update

 Marx Rocky Mountain Express Set No. 15640










Original Marx Wm. Crooks and tender with New Marx Oldtimer Cars





Having a little fun - based on the old silent film melodramas and '60s era cartoons (Dudley Doright, et al)


Marx 'Tales of Wells Fargo' set






All is not Marx and I started pulling out my Lionel to run. 
Here's a Lionel 4-4-2 w/Milwaukee Road tender pulling a mixed Milwaukee Road consist from om several manufacturers





Marx Sears Allstate Set 9623
I was fortunate enough to latch on to this set which would have been a cheap beginner's set back in the day but has the now HTF gray NYC GE 70-ton Switcher





After nearly 30 years of doing 3-rail O-gauge trains I FINALLY got my first Lionel Postwar Baby Hudson ('baby' denoting a somewhat downsized version that can run on O-27 track) I love it!!

Here's my 2055 Hudson pulling a mixed manufacturer consist of Milwaukee Road cars.
The Hudson's came in several versions. This 2055 is the same as the 665 the difference being in the boiler fronts






Ladies and germs, boys and squirrels we are now caught up with the Edge of Town progress updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment