Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2020

Tarheel Industris, Inc Nova III Spaceship

Here's a craft that has no real tie-in to the SpaceX range but instead takes its cue from Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds. However, as an auxiliary piece of equipment to the 25mm universe it's a great piece. Paul Vreede covers the likely origins of the craft here on SpaceX Central. My sample is missing the canopy - as are most of the ones I've seen being offered. Like the Nova II Spaceship, this one has a friction motor. I believe the motor was supposed to turn that nickle plated gizmo in the center, but if so, mine doesn't function. In addition, there are forward canard wings which retract. The toy measures 9 1/4" L x 2 1/4" H. The wingspan is 4 1/2" with the canards deployed. When they're tucked in the width is 3 1/2" engine nacelle-to-engine nacelle. Enjoy! Opa Fritz



Here's a 25mm astronaut posed by the cockpit to showsize comparison with the pilot figure. The pilot's in this and the Nova II are actually quite smallish in the oversized cockpits.

















4 comments:

  1. I love this toy and the other two that make up the Tarheel trio of Novas. There's a whiff of Thunderbirds throughout and I'm surprised JR21 never released them in Europe as well. The interplay between Durham Toys and Tarheel is well evidenced with the Novas. Both companies released them and you can sometimes find the blister carded Durham novas on Ebay. Lovely photographs Ed. It looks really bright and great under your lens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many Thanx for the kudos Woodsy! Durham and Tarheel did a good job with these, wish they had done more. I'm missing the Nova I and had to pass up a Nova II with box because of budget constraints but I'm glad these were able to come my way!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely little thing! I'm sure I've seen it on Moonbase, but this is the first time I've clocked-it as being small scale . . . straight on the 'wants' list!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Hugh! I held up buying any toy larger than the SpaceX/Golden Astronaut stuff but decided to take the plunge this year because the scale fits the 28mm figures so well.

      Delete